Cooksville consists of two villages: Cooksville platted in 1842 and Waucoma platted in 1846. John and Daniel Cook settled here in 1840. establishing Cooksville on the Badfish Creek, where a sawmill
was soon constructed. Dr. John
Porter of Massachusetts laid out
Waucoma east of Cooksville. The
two villages were settled by
people from New England, New
York, the British Isles. and
later, Norway. But the village. Cooksville because of the post office's location, was by - passed by railroads in 1860s, becoming " the town that time forgot."